The Kids are Here 9.6.16

For those who have been reading, I would like to thank you. For those who just started following or reading the blog, I would like to give you a little background on me as an educator. I am entering my 21st year as an educator, and during this time, I have tried to keep a history of my teaching, but for a number of reasons, it has not been a success. This year, I have a motivator – it will be an objective for my evaluation. This will not be anything fancy, just a collection of events and thoughts of my day. Also, this will not be proofread, so hopefully you will not judge, but rather have a better understanding of my journey as an educator and person.

Like previous years, I arrived at school around 6:30 am to get myself prepared for the unprepared. I expect chaos on the first day of school just because it’s the first day of school. I had a few things to complete before the kids arrived into the library, but at the same time, I knew I wouldn’t get everything done. Not having a “complete” learning space is something I have done on purpose so I can adapt with the children and the individual classes I will see for the next nine months. As usual, there were a few interruptions in my own personal agenda, but that is part of the territory. Before my first class, there was time for me to help with the unloading of buses and management of students in the hallway and the cafeteria. There were many smiling faces that wandered through the hallways. Over sized book bags draped over kids with fancy clothes and new shoes. There was definitely a “buzz” in the air. The excitement shown by the kids was similar to the excitement of teachers a week earlier. I did my best to help students find their classrooms, as well as to help throughout the school.

Once this task was completed, my own personal agenda continued with some of the earlier task started that morning. While preparing for my first class, emails were scanned, the key word being “scanned,” and the preparation of books for classes was being done. Of course this is another topic, but EMAILS, we get so many throughout the day, but like I said, this is another topic. Once the first class arrived, the routine of teaching and working with students became natural. I use the word “routine” because this is a format that was developed to maintain the structure of my library. There is change and flexibility in the routine, but the students are aware of the procedures, and it allows for more to be accomplished during the class period. 

The day went by quick and without any major problems. The biggest obstacle of the day was the Kindergarten class I saw. Mainly, because they were a bunch of five year old kids in a new environment. It was a large class, but the class did a great job maintaining their composure in class, which started at 12:25 pm and lasted until 1:15 pm. I had my fingers crossed the entire time. The biggest accomplishment was that I didn’t have anyone cry in class or use the bathroom on themselves. After kindergarten, I had a first grade class, then the day was complete in terms of classes. Our school is using Chromebooks with fifth graders, and I am responsible for passing them out, so that was next on my agenda.  I had about five students pick up their Chromebooks, which was an easy process. I left the building around 3:15 pm, which was a great time considering it was the first day of school. I left the building without the stress of a first day, which was even better. So, if I could only have more days like this, but I’m pretty sure, things will change.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s